Life Verse:

"...I have come that they may have life and that they may have it more abundantly." -- JESUS in John 10:10

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Trip Journal - Phoenix Arizona - Spring 2009 - Page 2



Sunday, March 29, 2009 06:39MST (Page 2)

Reading this morning from Psalms 28-29.

“The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is full of majesty.

The voice of the LORD breaks the cedars, yes, the LORD splinters the cedars of Lebanon. HE makes them also skip like a calf, Lebanon and Sirion like a young wild ox.” – Psalm 29:4-6

The window of my third floor room faces east. It is impressive to see the sun rise above the palm trees and structures of Traveler’s Inn next door. As impressive as the sunrise may be, as impressive as the forces found in nature are, we would do well to remember that all of this is just a small testimony to how awesome and great is our GOD! HE controls all of HIS Creation and is also intimately acquainted and concerned with our personal lives.

My thoughts are toward Crestview this morning. I pray that GOD will work in the worship times today as HIS people seek HIM.

After breakfast this morning, I will point the Colorado 4x4 north on I-17 toward Red Rock country. My plans include hiking at Dead Horse Ranch State Park and Montezuma’s Castle National Monument.

Sunday, March 29, 2009; 20:22MST

Has been a very good day and my legs feel it! The drive up to Dead Horse Ranch State Park took a little longer than I expected due to some road construction, but I arrived about 09:30. The drive was a worshipful experience though, as I listened to KLOVE and ArizonaShine (among several) contemporary Christian radio stations. As a matter of fact I listened to them up and back. Worship was the order of the day on the trail and the road!

Dead Horse Ranch AZ State Park is adjacent to Coconino National Forest and includes typical “red rock” Arizona landscape with the addition of the Verde River and its riparian zones. The area is beautiful. Glenn would have appreciated the two lagoons that are in the park. Several anglers were busy at work and I saw evidence of many fish caught, including trout.

I hiked a large loop including part of the Lime Kiln Trail, Thumper Trail, Lower Raptor Hill Trail, Rattlesnake Wash Overlook Spur, part of the Mesa Trail, and the Tavasci Marsh Trail. All of these trails together with some hiking on park roads equaled about 10 miles of hiking! My legs feel the 10 miles tonight, but the day was certainly worth it.

The hike included washes (arroyos), small mesas, and everything in between. I observed numerous passerines and the ubiquitous lizard. (This is a lizard heaven!) Also saw the occasional raptor (some type of hawk, I think). It occurred to me that it could have been a Golden Eagle – though my knowledge of them is limited. Contrary to the Thumper Trail’s name, I did not see any Jackrabbits this time. The number of butterflies amazed me. They were drawn to the desert blooming wildflowers and cacti. It is wonderful to see the desert bloom. The desert is alive – GOD takes care of HIS Creation.

As I came down off Lower Raptor Hill Trail, there were splendid views of Tuzigoot National Monument. I found a little used trail (Tavasci Marsh Trail) that led down to the Tavasci March (part of The Verde River) which the ancient Sanaguin Indians worked.

After catching a late and quick lunch at Wendy’s in Camp Verde, I headed north to see Montezuma’s Castle National Monument. I was concerned that two hours might not be enough time to adequately explore this site but my fears were unfounded. The monument is not large and I was able to really explore and soak up the feel of the monument. It never ceases to amaze me how GOD works things out. I go and plan an entire day of time outdoors with 10 miles of hiking the back country and HE touches my spirit more in the two hours I spent at Montezuma’s Castle! I was impressed by the immensity and grandeur of this place. These were real people with real hopes, dreams, fears, and spirits. Why did they build these impressive structures? What happened to them? Why did they leave this majestic site after living there 400 years? What monuments are we leaving behind with our lives for others to admire?


No comments: