Life Verse:

"...I have come that they may have life and that they may have it more abundantly." -- JESUS in John 10:10

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Kayak & Hike Ft. Toulouse, Tallapoosa River

Kayak: Tallapoosa River near Ft. Toulouse  Sat, 06/19/2010, 07:45-09:00
Distance: 2 miles (approx)  Rating: 4/5  Map Coord: N32.50095, W86.25276
Difficulty: Moderate due to current and depth
Conditions: Clear, calm, warm and humid.  About three other boat trailers at launch site but I saw no other boats on the river.
Thoughts/Observations:
Beautiful morning.  Good time to get out on the river and soak in some of GOD's wonder and care.  The Tallapoosa was a little low and was flowing faster than I have ever seen it before.  (Note:  If you are contemplating a similar adventure REMEMBER that you have to paddle back upstream at some point in time!)

I particularly enjoyed the sheltered coves to the left of the boat launch.  With my kayak I could get a decent distance back inside the cove.  Several herons and other water birds did not appreciate my intrusion (even though I was quiet).  Fish jumping in several places.  This was a very peaceful place.

As I paddled downstream, in the back of my mind was the thought, "I will have to paddle back upstream to get out."  I tried to go river left, around a large island but found the depth too shallow even for my yak.  I took this as a tap on the shoulder from GOD that I should start back, and so I did.

And it is a good thing that I did at that time.  The current was aggressive, at times wanting to spin my kayak back around.  I found it best to paddle nearest the far shore, in somewhat calmer water.  Needless to say, I got a workout by the time I reached the boat launch.  I paddled a little upstream from the launch; crossed over the river; and paddled back downstream toward the launch.  Take out was simple and easy.

The dry bag worked great for my digital SLR - that's the only way I would dare take it on the river.  (Note to self: Investigate a water-proof digital, point and shoot camera.)
Hike: Bartram Arboretum and River Trail, Ft. Toulouse, Sat. 06/19/2010, 09:30-10:45
Distance: 2 miles  Rating: 4/5
Difficulty: Easy
Conditions: Sunny, calm, very warm, humid.  No one else on the trail.  Some people at Ft. Toulouse - in fact, they set off a canon!  That will get your attention!!!
Thoughts/Observations:
Trees and bushes are in full summer foliage.  Wonderful shadows grace the trails and provide welcome relief from the blazing sun (even at this time in the morning).  Many gray squirrels are busy scampering about - some carrying lunch in their mouth.  As usual, I was serenaded to forest bird-song as I hiked this relatively easy riparian trail.
The numerous wild plums along the trial remind me of my childhood and teen years, hiking the trails behind home.  Mimosa perfume was ever present in the air along the Coosa side of the river trail.

At the confluence of the Tallapoosa and Coosa I was surprised to find that the Tallapoosa was flowing considerably faster than the Coosa.  It was also muddier than the Coosa - that is rare.  A small change in the channel of the Tallapoosa seems to have occurred.  There were numerous sand islands in the confluence area.


No comments: