Life Verse:

"...I have come that they may have life and that they may have it more abundantly." -- JESUS in John 10:10

Friday, May 16, 2014

Camping Cheaha / Hiking Pinhoti -- April 11-12, 2014

Hiking/Camping: Pinhoti Trail near Cheaha State Park // Camping Cheaha SP

Hike: Portions of the Pinhoti Trail near Cheaha State Park, 4/11/2014
Distance: 4 miles  Rating: 4/5
Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Conditions: Beautiful weather.  Dry and mild temps.  Many limbs and trees down throughout the area due to the ice storms earlier in the winter.  Lots of damage in the state park and throughout the mountain top and ridges.
Thoughts/Observations:
Some beautiful waterfalls and stream crossing in the 4 mile section of the Pinhoti near Cheaha.  Wildflowers graced the trailside throughout the hike.  Was shocked at the amount of damage from the winter ice storms this year.  Sad to see so many trees broken down.

Hike: Bald Rock and Pulpit Rock Trails, Cheaha State Park, 4/12/2014
Distance: 2 miles  Rating: 4/5
Difficulty: Easy
Conditions:  Ice storm damage evident in this area also.  Beautiful and clear day.
Thoughts/Observations:
Retraced the steps Diane and I took many years ago hiking out to Bald Rock.  Diane was about 4 years old if I remember correctly.  After our short hike to the wonderful valley overlook of Bald Rock, I heard Diane say "Look Daddy."  She had climbed out onto one of the rock ledges.  My heart skipped a beat as I yelled "Do not move!".  Obviously, she and I survived the hike about 22 years ago...  Bald Rock was still as impressive and imposing as I remember.  Since Diane was not here -- I climbed out on the ledge to get pictures myself.

Camping:   Semi-primitive site near the summit of Cheaha Mountain.  I had the best "view in the park".






No comments: