Life Verse:

"...I have come that they may have life and that they may have it more abundantly." -- JESUS in John 10:10

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Hiking Mountain Creek - 6/11/2016

Hike: Confederate Memorial Park, Mountain Creek, Sat., 6/11/2016; 07:45-10:00CDT
Distance: 4.3 miles  Difficulty: Easy  Rating: 4/5  
Conditions: Trails dry.  Trails of crushed stone and earth.  Clear/calm.  Very warm and humid.  No one else on trails today.
Thoughts/Observations:  
Plenty of time for solitude, worship, and meditation today -- no one else on trails.  Enjoyed the company of squirrels, rabbits, numerous song birds, woodpeckers, one red-tailed hawk, and one turkey hen.  Plenty of bugs (as is normal for this time of year).  Mimosa is just past prime in this area but there were still plenty of the pink and white, silken blooms.  Even though it is an invasive species, I am particularly fond of this tree.  It reminds me of my Grandmother Teal.

Bird-song and woodpecker cadence provided me with constant music, along with the occasional buzzing of the flying insect (which I could have done without).

It saddens me to report that the Champion Yellow Poplar tree (2nd largest in the State) does in fact appear to be dead.  There are no leaves anywhere on the branches.  Some large limbs have fallen and a large section of bark seems to have split off.  Experts believe this poplar germinated in 1773.  It has certainly seen a lot of history.  I will miss the old champion.





No comments: