Life Verse:

"...I have come that they may have life and that they may have it more abundantly." -- JESUS in John 10:10

Saturday, June 27, 2009

GWE - Day 20




Saturday, June 27, 2009 (Day 20)

My morning devotional reading is from John 9 today. "For judgment I have come into this world, that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may be made blind." John 9:39 (NKJV)

“None so blind as those who will not see.” Matthew Henry wrote these words as a commentary on Psalm 82 many years ago. The reality of these words holds true just as much today (if not more so) than it did when they were first written. JESUS said there are those who think they see but are in fact blinded – blinded by sin, by lust, by selfishness and a host of other things. HE is the Light. If we desire to be able to walk clearly and safely through life we must walk in HIM. Let me encourage you to see the LIGHT today.


My plan on this breezy, cool morning is to hike the Aspen Loop at Henry’s Lake ID State Park while Kathy sleeps a little late. After that, it’s on to the northern part of Yellowstone National Park. Perhaps we will see wolves and bears today!


(Evening Reflections)

Wow, the short 3.2 mile Aspen Loop at Henry’s Lake State Park was full of surprises. The upper end of the lake is a marsh area where the creek is filtered before entering the lake. The marsh is full of pelicans, ducks, geese, and other assorted water fowl. The trail turned south from the marsh across the roadway and into the aspen forest of the foothills surrounding Henry’s Lake. As I hiked across the steppe my feet were cushioned with a carpet of white, cream, yellow, purple, and pink wildflowers of assorted types. The prairie dogs would stick up their heads or climb atop on of the lowly shrubs to see who was coming. Hawks, ravens, and the ubiquitous water fowl flew overhead. I had seen pronghorn antelope a day earlier but did not observe any on this hike. I was on the lookout for bear (and made some noise as I hiked) but did not see any. I was treated to a rare sight on the return portion of the hike near the marsh. A moose cow and calf were grazing the marsh as I ascended the marsh overlook. If they saw me they did not seem concerned and continued munching on water plants. I was privileged to be able to observe them for several minutes.


The wildlife sightings continued at Yellowstone. We sighted a black bear foraging in a meadow near Tower-Roosevelt. A bald eagle sat on her nest off the road to West Yellowstone. Also observed in abundance were elk, bison, various birds (including raptors), all sorts of chipmunks, squirrels, and the like.


We did not see a grizzly or wolf while in Yellowstone today, but we did view some up close at the Grizzly Wolf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone. The center is a non-profit organization that exists to educate the public about grizzly and wolf ecology and to care for orphans. The grizzlies were massive as would be imagined but in all honesty it was the grey wolf that captured my attention. Maybe it is because I am a dog lover, but there is something in the eyes of Canis lupus that elicits my sympathy, my care. As you gaze into their eyes there is a soulful feeling. The wolves would come up to the glass partition and stare at us as we looked at them. I wonder what they were thinking.


We also topped the pass near Mt. Washburn today somewhere around 10,000 feet. Snow was up-close and personal here. The views were stunning. We picnicked not too far from the high pass and found snow next to our picnic table. Kathy just had to make a little snow man to go on the Explorer. She tried to hit me with a couple of snow balls but here aim was not good enough!


We met a couple from Birmingham while at the pass. He saw our Troy University decal and came up to us. They drove up as well. It was good to meet someone from “home” – made us feel “not so far away”.

No comments: