Life Verse:

"...I have come that they may have life and that they may have it more abundantly." -- JESUS in John 10:10

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Musings: Urban Hiking - 06/16/2011


1 Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. 2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma...
15 See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, 16 redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
-- Eph 5:1-2, 15-16 (NKJV)

I greatly enjoy taking a 2 mile walk early each morning.  This time not only serves to provide bodily exercise but also exercise of the spirit.  Time for prayer, scripture meditation, worship, and soaking up GOD's love experienced through HIS Creation.  One might wonder how much of GOD's Creation is observable in the suburbs.  The answer is, "as much as one will open their eyes and ears to observe."

Each morning I am blessed by the caress of the gentle breeze or sometimes the sprinkle of a morning shower.  I am greeted by the wake-up call of the sun as it's brilliant orange orb rises through the pink and rose hues of dawn.  This morning I watched the silver disk of a full moon relinquish its rule of the sky to the waking sun.  Various perfumes waft across my senses while I hike the suburban landscape.  The mimosa gently reminds me of my grandmother and brings back wonderful memories of playing in her yard under the watchful and shading branches of her mimosa.  I am serenaded to the soulful song of the Mourning Dove or the repertoire of the Mockingbird.  At times the Cardinal will join the chorus to complete the avian choir.  Robins are usually busy hunting breakfast -- I don't hear them sing but I do enjoy how they grace the landscape with their color and activity.

All around (even in the suburban or urban jungle) I am reminded of GOD's love, provision, and presence.  I hope that you will take time today to have your eyes and heart opened.  Do not waste the day.

No comments: