Life Verse:

"...I have come that they may have life and that they may have it more abundantly." -- JESUS in John 10:10

Saturday, June 04, 2011

Trail of Legends - Swayback Bridge - Red Trail

Hike: Red Trail, Trail of Legends - Swayback Bridge, Wetumpka, AL, Sat. 6/4/2011, 08:09-11:16
Distance: 7.0 miles  Rating: 5/5
Difficulty: Moderate - due to distance and heat/humidity
Conditions: Hot and Humid.  Little wind.  Trails dry but in good shape.  Lots of insect activity but no mosquitoes observed.
Thoughts/Observations:

Felt great to be hiking today - has been too long.  Today is National Trails Day.  I thought a 7 mile hike of the Trails of Legends - Swayback Bridge would be appropriate.  Weather was hot and humid - typical of south Alabama for June.  Starting @ 8am helped a little with the heat, but was still quite hot and muggy by hike's end.  Had 2 mountain bikers and 2 trail runners pass me on the Red Trail but otherwise I enjoyed the solitude. 

Observed many squirrels romping along with the ubiquitous passerines serenade.  Was priviledged to see several dragonflies and damselfiles searching for their mid morning meal.  Summer wildflowers were abundant especially along the powerline cut-through near Milepost 4 on the Red Trail.  Big Leaf Magnolias are plentiful here and along with the many ferns give the valleys and ridges a prehistoric feel.  The summer heat brings out the bugs but I was not too bothered.  I did use DEET on my hiking shoes and pants legs to discourage any ticks. 

"Sing to My Heart" played through my mind as I hiked the hills and valleys of Swayback. 




Thought I would attach a my Hiking Chart in case anyone is interested...


No comments: