Life Verse:

"...I have come that they may have life and that they may have it more abundantly." -- JESUS in John 10:10

Saturday, December 14, 2019

Adventures in New Zealand - Waiau Kauri Grove - 02-Dec-2019

Hike: Waiau Kauri Grove, Coromandel Penisula, North Island, New Zealand, 02-Dec-2019 17:30-18:00NZ time
Distance: 1 mile  Rating: 5.2/5.0
Conditions:  Humid, trails wet but in great shape.  Department of Conservation has installed disinfection stations to clean boots before entry and when departing the trail head in an effort to prevent the introduction of Kauri die-back disease (fungus). 

Thoughts/Observations:

My heart is always in the forest and these forest giants touched me deeply.  They remind me of the Giant Sequoias of the Sierra Nevada.  The Kauri can live up to 4,000 years (assuming the die-back fungus does not strike them first).  Hiking under the canopy of these gentle giants was a spiritual experience.  I literally was speechless.

This was our shortest hike in distance, but deepest, most heart-felt for me.

I pray that GOD will preserve these forest giants from this latest, introduced danger.






No comments: